1. Eligibility: Those who wish to apply must be an organization or corporation governed by a board of directors. The applicant must demonstrate that the associated event or project will be open to the public and directly enhance and promote the tourism, convention, and hotel industry by attracting visitors from outside of Huntsville and into the city or its vicinity. Marketing efforts for the event must have a focus on an audience outside a radius of 50 miles from Walker County. Applicants may not receive funding from any other city board or commission who distributes Hotel Occupancy Tax funds.
2. Application Requirements: Applicants must provide the following documents for their application to be considered.
3. Use of Funds: The Texas Tax Code Chapter 351 provides a set of rules that states how HOT funds may be use. Use is limited to the following:
4. Evaluation Criteria: The HOT Board will use the following categories to evaluate applications:
Does the applicant’s organization have a thorough strategic marketing plan for the event, or project?
& Overnight Stays
How many people are expected to attend and how many of those in attendance will be staying overnight in Walker County?
Promotion of Tourism
Does the marketing plan for the event or project focus on an audience outside a 50 mile radius of Walker County?
Event or Project History
Special event or project funding may be limited to a three (3) year cap. After three (3) years of a successful event or project the applicant must show an increase in hotel stays year-to-year. If the applicant’s event or project does not increase in hotel stays it may be considered a community event and become ineligible for funding.
5. Award of Funding: Upon evaluation of all applications, the HOT Board will award funding based upon the budget provided by City Council. The total funds available at any given time may restrict the City’s ability to fully fund a reimbursement grant. Applicants may not receive funding from any other city board or commission who distributes Hotel Occupancy Tax funds.
6. Reimbursement Process: All applicants that are awarded funding from the HOT Fund Reimbursement Grant must submit a Post Event Form before receiving reimbursement. Failure to submit a Post Event Form will result in the ineligibility for reimbursement and future funding from the HOT Board. The City of Huntsville reserves the right to decide the following:
A budget worksheet is recommended and available here: https://huntsvilletexas.com/DocumentCenter/View/862/Event-Budget-Worksheet
To complete an application click here: https://